Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Evening: What are Your Circumstances?


Then Pray

James 5:13-16

Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

I love the book of James. And, these verses near the end are my favorite. The one clear message I receive is that we are to pray, regardless of our circumstances. And, note that verse 16 states that the prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. I have read this verse many times, and always focussed on the "powerful and effective" portion.

It struck me, this time around, that I was glossy over "righteous person." Not everybody's prayers will be powerful! Only those offered by righteous people! If you are like me, this shines a whole new light on prayer. More importantly, it shines a light on me that I may not want. Am I righteous enough to have my prayers be powerful and effective? Only with the blood of Jesus.



A Prayer

Dear Heavenly Father, You are Lord above all lords, and Name above all names. We thank You for Your provisions, Lord. We thank You for Your grace and mercy. We thank You for Your forgiveness. We thank You for sending Your Son, Jesus Christ, to die for us.

Lord, we ask that You would forgive us of our sins. We ask that You would wash away our transgressions with the blood of Jesus. Make us holy in Your sight.

Lord, as forgiven sinners, we humbly bow before You and ask that You would continue the work that You have begun in Adam. Father, we ask that you completely restore Adam so that he can walk, talk, laugh, pray, and sing praises to You.

In the name of Jesus Christ, we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment