Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Eve of Fasting: Don't Quench the Spirit


I Thessalonians 5:19

Do not quench the Spirit.

A five word verse? Is that it? Yes, but there is so much important instruction in these five words.

Apparently, Paul wrote these words because the Thessalonians were doing so at the time he wrote this letter. I believe it is important instruction for me. I find myself often quenching the Holy Spirit. How so? There are several ways, but first, a definition. To quench is to extinguish, put out, squelch, or suppress.

I find myself quenching the Spirit by ignoring Him when I want to do something my way rather than God's way — I don't allow the Holy Spirit to lead me. It might be ignoring His conviction, not yielding to His control, or refusing to worship (see Ephesians 5:15-20). What I should be refusing to do is quenching the Holy Spirit.

    ‘Cause I don’t want to live like I don’t care.
    I don’t want to say another empty prayer.
    I refuse to
    Sit around and wait for someone else
    To do what God has called me to do myself.
    ~I Refuse, Josh Wilson



Do you choose to follow or quench the Spirit?

Usually, Wednesdays are days when I feel close to God. However, there have been a few during the past 10 months where the hectic pace has kept me from spending as much time with God as I would like (and for sure less time than He would like). I let the cares of the world allow me to quench the Spirit. Let's all pray for each other that this does not happen tomorrow. Let's all refuse to quench the Spirit.

I look forward to spending time with God, and you, tomorrow, as we pray for Adam's healing. In addition to praying for each other (see previous paragraph), simply pray that God would be glorified by Adam's recovery process.

No comments:

Post a Comment