Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lunch: How to Please God


It's About Faith

Hebrews 11:6

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

In my breakfast post, I wrote that I did not know why God requires us to have faith (rather than providing us with 100-percent hard evidence). One thing I do know is that He provides us with free will. He did not want a world full of robots obeying His every command. He gives us choice, and it delights Him when we choose to have faith.

When we have free will, lots of things can happen — good and bad. When good things happen, we should praise God for His grace. When bad things happen, we should praise God for His mercy. Good or bad, the verse above offers a promise of a reward to those with faith. Regardless of any short-term suffering here on earth, our ultimate reward will be eternity with God. That is a promise I have faith in.

God's promise has two strings attached: 1) We must believe that He exists; and 2) We must earnestly seek Him.

Bible scholars and believers may disagree a bit on what it means to earnestly seek God. However, I think that we can all do a self-assessment and quickly determine that we can step up our earnestness, regardless of where we are in our faith walk.

What's the reward? Heaven — where all believers will live forever with no pain, no suffering, no hurt, no disease, no injury, no sadness. That is why I write with such confidence. I know that I will see Adam fully restored. If not on earth, it will be in Heaven (regular readers know that I believe it will be on earth, but that is not up to me).

    Give me faith to trust what you say
    That you’re good and your love is great
    I’m broken inside, I give you my life
    ~Give Me Faith, Elevation Worship



Prayer Requests

    • Adam's speech and language is still needing improvement. Pray that he will learn how to use his vocal cords as he is talking.

    • Pray for Adam's ability to process information quickly and to respond once he has processed it.

    • Pray that Adam will be aware of when he needs to use the restroom so that he will be able to become more independent and can get out of the hospital setting more.

    • Pray for Adam's strength as he is transferring to and from his wheelchair, which is another big step in becoming more independent.

We'll be back at dinner time.

No comments:

Post a Comment