Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Evening: Are You Ordinary?


Spending over four hours on a plane was such a blessing, today. Life has been quite hectic over the past month. So much so that the busy-ness was creeping into our united day of prayer and fasting. On a plane, one is removed from the distractions, so I got to spend more time with God.

During our flight, I spent some time reading Experiency God, by Henry Blackaby. If you are a Christian (Blackaby states up front that this book is for believers), and have never read it, make it your next book. I am only to the fifth chapter, and have already found it to be re-shaping all my thoughts about “doing God's will.” I am excited about how God's work in my life will exceed all my plans and dreams!

This evening's prayer appears at the end of Chapter 4 in Blackaby's book. If it sounds challenging, it is. If you feel uncomfortable saying the words, you're only human. I have the advantage of having just read the chapter preceding the prayer. Having read it, I might have a slightly different understanding of such bold requests, but they are still daunting to me. That's why I need God more than ever.

Prayer

    God, I want to be your servant.
    I know that I can do nothing on my own.
    I know that I cannot achieve the success that You call me to achieve.
    I depend entirely on You to do Your work through me.
    I know that You can do anything You choose to do.
    I give myself completely to You.
    Work through me anyway You want to work.
    Show me where You are at work and include me in that work.
    I will not question Your call.
    I will do any work You show me to do wherever that work is.
    Lord, accept the worship and dedication of Your servant today.
    Amen.

I have spent my entire life questioning God. It is time to quit questioning and begin doing. Easy to say, difficult to do. Yet, with God, all things are possible. How I cling to those words, tonight. It is easier for me to believe that Adam will be restored than it is for me to believe that I can live up to the words of this prayer. Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief!

Blackaby does a wonderful job showing how God does extraordinary works through ordinary people. How does this happen? It occurs when we pray the prayer above.

Tonight's post may be a bit different. But, tonight is a different night. After nine months of praying for Adam, I am here with him.

Work through me Lord...anyway You want.

No comments:

Post a Comment