Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Dinner: Be Still


by Hillary Mortensen

STILL.

As I looked up this word both in the dictionary and in the concordance (to check Hebrew and Greek definitions for its various uses in the Bible), a variety of words and phrases were revealed: remaining in place or at rest, motionless, stationary, free from sound or noise, silent, subdued, hushed, a still small voice, free from turbulence or commotion, peaceful, tranquil, calm, without perceptible current, alone, idle, faint, quiet, cease, forebear.

I don’t know about you, but it’s a stretch to say that these words describe my life. Rather, I think words more like anxious, hurried, loud, stressed, frenzied, busy, complicated, confused, restless, longing, striving, and frustrated describe my thoughts, my heart, and my behavior. I also tend to be a person of doing rather than being. As the Ravenhill quote in last night’s post suggests, it is not about how many meetings I attend or gifts I have, but how much time I spend alone with God that determines the condition of my spiritual life. And while I know this in my head, how quickly I forget it, going about a busy schedule while rarely setting aside a moment for time with God! Then, somehow, I justify my lifestyle by noting that my schedule is busy building relationships and leading ministry. Yet God instructs us (as a command, rather than a suggestion) that we are to be still.

God has given me this word, still, as my word of the year. It delights me that it is my word of the year, because I know it will take at least that long to cultivate a heart and life that is still.

Now, as I have been challenged, I challenge you to several things:

  1. Be still right now before the Lord. Can you take a few moments of silence—no talking, no computer, no phone, no television—and just wait? Perhaps it means you need to take a few minutes to simply not move at all.
  2. Cultivate stillness. As I mentioned, I predict that it will take me some time to get the hang of this whole being still thing, but I know it will be worth it. How can you practice stillness over time? Does it mean taking time every day to be silent and motionless? How can you cast your cares upon the Lord to calm your anxious heart? Right now, let’s be still before God about Adam. Ask God to reveal to you how to pray for him. Listen. If you sense God nudging you to pray or do anything specific, pray it or do it!
  3. Ask God for your theme word for 2011. It is not too late to consider what life word will help you grow in faith and character as you seek to apply it to your life. Need help getting started? Read this site for more information on one word resolutions.

Listen to and mediate on this song. Remember that God is God. He is big. He is in control. He knows you and longs for you to draw close to Him. Praise Him for being God, in your life, in Adam’s.




"Learning how to be still, to really be still and let life happen - that stillness becomes a radiance."
Morgan Freeman

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Hillary. Great devotional! It is challenging for me, and perhaps all of us, to be still. Yet, it is a discipline (and command!) not be ignored.

    ReplyDelete