Thursday, January 13, 2011

Breaking the Fast: Theme Word for 2011


In her dinner-time post (Be Still), last night, Hillary suggested that we ask God for a theme word in 2011. I love hers — "still" — and would use it if she had not already taken it!

I tried to spend a little time being still, last night. It is every bit as difficult as Hillary said it would be! Two words kept surfacing: grace and forgiveness. I talked a fair amount about grace during the past year. I read several books where grace was a big theme, especially and not-so-surprisingly, What's So Amazing About Grace? So, I ask myself, was "grace" my theme word in 2010, even though I did not intentionally choose it?

Grace keeps popping up in my mind, so I will pray about it for another week before I make an "official decision." For now, I want to marvel at God's grace.



Romans 3:23-24

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

I am thankful for God's grace. At times, I do feel as if it is raining down on me. I am thankful that I am blessed to be able to write this blog and pray. For the past eight months, Adam has not been blessed with that ability. Why? I don't know. But, to me, it means that we have to continue praying for him.

In her blog, last night, Amy wrote, "Be praying for Adam to continue to lean on God to get the strength he needs to fight this battle he is in." As I read that, I realized that Adam and I have something in common. You do, too. We all need to lean on God to get the strength we need to fight the battles that we are in. Our battles are just different. So, let's pray this for Adam, and for each other!

A Prayer

Dear God, our heavenly Father;
Creator of the world and all that is in it.
Thank You, for granting us Your grace.
We deserve nothing,
Yet You provide us with Your Son, Jesus.
Thank You, that we can lean on Him
for strength to fight our battles;
Battles against sin and temptation;
Battles against sickness and injuries.
Today, Lord, we lift up your servant, Adam Root.
Provide him with Your strength.
Provide him with Your grace.
Provide him with Your healing power.
Provide him with salvation.
Lord, Adam's loved ones are in battles, too.
Provide them all with Your grace.
We pray in the name of Your Son, Jesus Christ.
Amen.

May God bless you in the coming week. We'll meet, again, next Tuesday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment