Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Thankful

by Hillary Mortensen

I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them.

1 Timothy 2:1


Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18


As I reflect, as I pray, as I hear the stories of all the ways friends and family have stepped up in prayer and service during this season of the Root family’s life, I cannot help but overflow with gratitude. Even now as I write this, I am saying a prayer of thanks for everyone, both those I know well and for those who none of us know at all but are praying with and for the family regardless.


It’s so easy, in this life, to get caught up in what we don’t have, what we cannot do, where we have not been, etc. Instead, God calls us to a life of thankfulness. I’ve started my own list of things I’m thankful for, and I encourage you to make your own list, as well, even if it’s just in your head. Use mine (they’re for sharing) and/or come up with your own. Give thanks to God, and wait expectantly for your heart to begin to overflow with gratitude.


  • For you, readers of this blog
  • For advanced medical care for Adam
  • For Amy, whose hope is in the Lord and whose unwavering faith is a testimony to the power of Jesus Christ at work within her
  • For an extended family that has surrounded and supported Adam's family with prayers, notes, websites, finances, meals, housecleaning, social networking, phone calls, and more
  • For technology that allows us to keep in touch and "come together" even though we're very far apart
  • For hope
  • For scriptures that documented many "healing moments"


No comments:

Post a Comment