Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Dinner: Why?

Why?

Have you thought this? Have you asked God this question?

During your "dinner time," I would encourage you wrestle with the questions of, "Why, Adam? Why, now?" and others like it. Go ahead, ask God. Then, be still. Remain still for what may seem to be an uncomfortable period of time. After that time has elapsed, read these verses:

John 9:1-11

Jesus Heals a Man Born Blind

1As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"

3"Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life. 4As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. 5While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."

6Having said this, he spit on the ground, made some mud with the saliva, and put it on the man's eyes. 7"Go," he told him, "wash in the Pool of Siloam" (this word means Sent). So the man went and washed, and came home seeing.

8His neighbors and those who had formerly seen him begging asked, "Isn't this the same man who used to sit and beg?" 9Some claimed that he was.

Others said, "No, he only looks like him."

But he himself insisted, "I am the man."

10"How then were your eyes opened?" they demanded.

11He replied, "The man they call Jesus made some mud and put it on my eyes. He told me to go to Siloam and wash. So I went and washed, and then I could see."

As I have mentioned previously, I am neither preacher nor Bible scholar. I am not an expert, nor do I have special insights. I invite comments if I am misreading this, but what verse 3 of this passage tells me is that bad things happen to bring glory to God. This short passage provides both an answer to "Why?" and more evidence of Jesus' healing power by bringing sight to a blind man.

Why so long?

We move onto the next question. I think to myself, "Many of us have been praying fervently since the day of Adam's accident. A number of us have fasted and united together in prayer. Where's the results? Why so long? Don't You want to bring glory to Yourself?"

I must remember that God is God, and I am not! I cannot know His plans for Adam, me, or you. Yet, maybe I can find a bit of an answer in Paul's second letter to the Corinthians.

2 Corinthians 12: 7-10

7To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

If God's grace (see What is God's Grace?) is enough for Paul, it surely is enough for me.

 

During your "dinner time" prayer, consider:
  • Thanking God for His grace
  • Asking that Adam's accident would be used to bring glory to God
  • Asking God difficult questions, but be willing to be still and listen for answers
  • Passionately asking for God to provide His healing grace to Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment