Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Let's Unite in Prayer for Adam

You may be sitting at a computer in Oregon, Washington, California, Colorado, Kansas, Texas, Alabama, Michigan, Massachusetts, North Carolina, or somewhere else in the world. Like me, you wish you could do more to support Adam Root and his immediate family.

I know that many of you have been lifting up Adam in prayer. The reality is that is about all we can do. Yet, there is no need to feel badly about that. It is the best thing that we have to offer — our prayers.

Hi, this is Doug Mortensen, Adam's uncle. I am married to Gretchen, sister of Jack Root, Jr. I would like to encourage all of us to get more serious and intentional about asking for God’s provision for Adam. I would to invite all family and friends of Adam to join me in a day of prayer and fasting on Thursday, May 20th.

Why Thursday? Why not? We need to act quickly, but also leave a little time for some planning and preparation (we'll share a few tips between now and then).

Why Fasting? I will provide some more information in subsequent posts. For now, just consider that hundreds of us could be united together in a spiritual practice commanded by Jesus.

It isn’t much to ask, is it? I am not an expert on all the spiritual aspects of fasting. But, I have done it, and survived (better than I thought I would, actually!). I just believe that giving up a few meals to spend time in prayer is the least we can do to support Adam.

(Note: We will also share information about "partial fasts" for those with medical or health conditions)

Again, I am not a pastor, or theologian, but I believe that a unified day of prayer and fasting is a good way for our requests to be heard. The fasting portion is a sign of obedience to God, and the sacrifice of not eating indicates the seriousness of our requests.

Folks, it’s time to get serious. Will you join me on Thursday?

Life is short. Pray hard.

19 comments:

  1. Doug, count me in. Anything for Adam and this family. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful idea. I will be joining you from Washington State.

    - Deana Paulson (daughter of Pauline Eldridge Harkness)

    ReplyDelete
  3. jennifer FukumitsuMay 18, 2010 at 1:39 PM

    I will be joining you and your family from Honolulu Hawaii! We love Roger and Kimberly and that includes their entire family! Praying for a miraculous recovery for Adam and many salvations for the Root family.
    Love The Fukumitsu's

    ReplyDelete
  4. With my whole heart... count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The power of united prayer... I am believing for complete healing, I definitely will be fasting and praying on Thursday...

    Brooklynne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Count me in Dad! I been praying non-stop for My cousin Adam and the entire family. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in!...but I thought I already left that comment. Ah, well, I'm still in. How excited am I to join in corporate prayer and fasting from all corners of the country (and maybe the world???)? Thanks, Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Count me in! thanks you for doiong this.
    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be joining you, too.

    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome. Mike and I will be fasting and praying for Adam. So excited to be apart of a huge group of people covering their family in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doug,
    You can certainly count on the LaPiana family to be part of the fast - as we have been "praying without ceasing" for Adam, since the moment I jumped from my motocross bike to be at his side seconds after the accident.. God has a plan to reveal His power and we all need to be a part of it, so that He may be glorified in the miracles He is doing even at this moment !

    God Bless,
    Bill LaPiana (Adam's motocross partner,friend, and Brother in Christ)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Doug.

    I will be joining the fast from North Carolina. The outpouring of support and prayers for Adam has been a blessing also to his entire family.

    Sincerely,
    -Brad Root

    ReplyDelete
  13. Count me in, God will know our commitment, and so will Adam!

    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ken and Isaac are joining in as well. In case you are wondering what Isaac is going to fast-it is playing, cheese, and his new favorite storybook. He is going to pray for Adam and sing to God everytime he wants to play.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gabby and I are in! Believing in Gods amazing grace...and a radical healing. God is Good...... .......All the time! We Believe! Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pat and Janet CosgroveMay 20, 2010 at 12:09 AM

    The power of prayer is amazing and so many are praying for Adam's recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will be fasting and praying with you today knowing that God is going to work a miracle.

    Bev LaPiana

    ReplyDelete