Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lunch: Delighted

by Hillary Mortensen

Sometimes God teaches me—teaches us—using recurring themes. Recently, one theme of my life has been delight. I began wondering one day, “God, how can I delight in You?” He gave me a brilliant idea (as God can do), and so I obeyed and wrote a list of all the things I have and experience that help me delight in God, those treasures and activities that serve as reminders of His enormity, beauty, love, goodness, and so on.

I encourage you to take a moment to pause and contemplate those items in your life that bring delight. For me they were as simple as enjoying good food, sitting around the dinner table talking and laughing, and enjoying the views from atop hills. What is it for you?

Scripture seems to reveal that we are commanded to and given a gift of delight in our Lord Himself:

1 Samuel 2:1 & 2
Then Hannah prayed and said: "My heart rejoices in the LORD; in the LORD my horn is lifted high. My mouth boasts over my enemies, for I delight in your deliverance. There is no one holy like the LORD; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God..."

Job 27:10
Will he find delight in the Almighty? Will he call upon God at all times?

Psalm 1:2
But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.

Psalm 35:9
Then my soul will rejoice in the LORD and delight in his salvation.

·Leviticus 26:31 NIV

I will turn your cities into ruins and lay waste your sanctuaries, and I will take no delight in the pleasing aroma of your offerings.

Read Leviticus 26 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

·Deuteronomy 30:9 NIV

Then the LORD your God will make you most prosperous in all the work of your hands and in the fruit of your womb, the young of your livestock and the crops of your land. The LORD will again delight in you and make you prosperous, just as he delighted in your fathers,

Read Deuteronomy 30 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

·1 Samuel 2:1 NIV

[Hannah's Prayer] Then Hannah prayed and said: "My heart rejoices in the LORD; in the LORD my horn is lifted high. My mouth boasts over my enemies, for I delight in your deliverance.

Read 1 Samuel 2 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

·1 Samuel 15:22 NIV

But Samuel replied: "Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams.

Read 1 Samuel 15 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

·Nehemiah 1:11 NIV

O Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of this your servant and to the prayer of your servants who delight in revering your name. Give your servant success today by granting him favor in the presence of this man." I was cupbearer to the king.

Read Nehemiah 1 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

·Job 22:26 NIV

Surely then you will find delight in the Almighty and will lift up your face to God.

Read Job 22 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

·Job 27:10 NIV

Will he find delight in the Almighty? Will he call upon God at all times?

Read Job 27 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

·Psalm 1:2 NIV

But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.

Read Psalm 1 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

·Psalm 16:3 NIV

As for the saints who are in the land, they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight.

Read Psalm 16 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

·Psalm 35:9 NIV

Then my soul will rejoice in the LORD and delight in his salvation.

Read Psalm 35 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

Psalm 35:27
May those who
delight in my vindication shout for joy and gladness; may they always say, "The LORD be exalted, who delights in the well-being of his servant."

Psalm 37:4
Delight
yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Psalm 43:4
Then will I go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my
delight. I will praise you with the harp, O God, my God.

Psalm 112:2
Great are the works of the LORD; they are pondered by all who
delight in them.

Psalm 112:1
Praise the LORD. Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who finds great
delight in his commands.

Psalm 119:77
Let your compassion come to me that I may live, for your law is my delight.


Psalm119:92
If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction.

Psalm 119:143

Trouble and distress have come upon me, but your commands are my delight.


If they weren’t on your “delight” list already, considering adding God’s laws (His Word or commands), His salvation, His deliverance, and His works to your delight list.

Speaking of God's works, praise God for Adam's ability to visit the museum this past Friday (Yesterday's Update, Today's Blessing). What an amazing work God has done and is doing in Adam's body. Delight in this!


None But Jesus




Psalm 9:2
I will be filled with joy because of you. I will sing praises to your name, O Most High.

Prayer Request from Amy

"Pray that all those involved in our planning (meaning insurance, doctors, etc.) will have discernment and wisdom as they make decisions for Adam's care. Thank you all for your prayers and support."

1 comment:

  1. Delight in this answered prayer:

    "Thank you all for praying for Adam's speech therapy sessions, today was one of the best sessions he has had with Brooke."

    ReplyDelete