Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Breakfast: Will God Answer My Prayers?


"I fasted. I prayed hard. I prayed harder than I ever have before. Then I read Amy's blog and saw that Adam had to undergo another surgery, and his future looks bleak. What's the point?"

I heard people says things like this last May and June. I suspect that some of the people who said things like this (or thought them), might not be reading this blog anymore. Yet, others are still with us. If you have doubts, don't worry. You are not alone. We all have doubts at times. We wonder why God does not answer our prayers.

My belief is that God does hear our prayers, and He answers them. The answer might be "yes" it might be "no," or it might be "wait." Why? Why would a loving God say no to a prayer from a faithful follower of Jesus? This is a question that has prevented many from accepting Christ. It is a question that many Christians have spent a lot of time studying, writing about, discussing...and praying about!

Gretchen and I attended our "old church" on Sunday. We went to hear Ron Kincaid's final sermon at Sunset Presbyterian Church. The title of his message was "Why Some Prayers Go Unanswered." Kincaid suggested that God only answers prayers (says "yes") that bring Him glory. Among six reasons for unanswered prayer that he presented, one was that "We don't ask for things that are good."

Isn't it good to ask for healing of a brother or sister in Christ? It sounds good to me, but as Ron suggested, it may not be best. It may not be the best outcome to bring God glory and honor. So, the answer may be "no," or it may be "wait." In the case of Adam, it is my belief that God is working many things to bring Him glory. It is impossible for us to see the big picture that God sees. We cannot know with certainty the plans that he has in store for Adam, or for us.

What I do know is this. God has already worked miracles in Adam's life. God has answered many prayers with a "yes" since last May 15th. I know that out of obedience, I will keep praying, and that God will answer my prayers in ways that are best, according to His purposes. Sometimes He won't answer with a "yes," but I will still thank Him for unanswered prayers.



Luke 11:11-13

“Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Prayer Requests

In response to requests from Amy, let's pray that Adam's:

    • cognitive ability would improve
    • ankles would return to a normal posture so that can more easily walk
    • family would continue to trust in the Lord

We'll meet up, again, at lunch time.

1 comment:

  1. This morning, I am thinking how lives are changed, for the better, because God says "no" or "wait" to our prayers. In the case of Adam, God has drawn people, including me, closer to Him. I continue to feel that God is working His plan. We need to be patient, and continue praying.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete