Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Dinner: Eternal Glory


Everything here is temporary

2 Corinthians 4:16-18

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

That sums it up, for me. No matter what happens here on earth, it won't last. Our troubles are "light and momentary" when compared with eternal glory. To me, fasting is a good illustration of the above passage. I am hungry, right now. In fact, my hunger increasingly dominates my thoughts by dinner time on a fasting day. Yet, I know that food is "just around the corner."

Realizing that my hunger is temporary, makes it much easier to endure. Life's troubles are my hunger. Eternity in Heaven is the feast that awaits me. Adam's injury, Pat's cancer, or Brandon's illness are all temporary. Sure, we want them and others to be well. Yet, we do not lose heart because of the eternal glory that awaits them, and us.

What will eternal glory be like? I can only imagine.



For now, God still wants us to pray. He wants us to learn to depend on Him. He teaches us through fasting and prayer. So, let us pray.

Prayer Requests

    • Pray that Adam's ability to speak would keep improving and that he would regain a normal voice (many of his words are whispers).

    • Pray that God would provide wisdom and good judgement to Adam's therapists — especially his speech therapist, Brooke.

    • Pray that Adam's cognitive ability would improve.

    • Pray that God would provide for both the physical and spiritual needs of Amy and Mackenzie.

I would also suggest that we pray for each other. Pray that all of us would fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.

We'll meet one more time this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment