Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Eve of Fasting: Got Time for Prayer?


"I have so much to do that I shall spend the first three hours in prayer."
~Martin Luther

How many of us pray as much as we should? How many of us feel guilty that we don't pray enough? Or, who among us wonders why we should bother to pray at all? And, some of you are true "prayer warriors." Regardless of where you are in your prayer life, I encourage you to join us, tomorrow, as we unite in fasting and prayer.

Our prayer journey began in May 2010 after Adam's motorcycle accident. Many pray for Adam every day, but we come together on Wednesdays to corporately praise God and jointly ask for Adam's healing. Personally, I have found that I pray more on Wednesdays than any other day of the week. I have also found that by spending so much time praying for Adam, I now have more time to pray for others! It may sound counter intuitive, just as Luther's quote, above. When he found himself busy, he prayed for three hours!

I figured that if Luther spent three hours in prayer on a busy day, I could set aside time on Wednesdays of each week to pray for Adam. Doing so has not only strengthened my faith in God, it has improved my prayer life the other six days of the week. If you are new to our group, one way we create time to pray is by fasting (read more about fasting). Instead of taking time to eat a meal, pray.

Although fasting is encouraged, it is not required to join us in prayer. The important thing is that you pray. Why? God wants us to learn to depend on Him. Prayer is the way to do that (along with reading the Bible). I know that you are busy, but Jesus wants us to slow down and spend time with Him. And, despite all those "important things" that must get done, nothing is more important than spending time with our Savior.

Luke 10:38-42

    As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

    “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”


Most of us are Marthas. Jesus wants us to be Marys. Tomorrow, let's sit at the Lord's feet and listen to what He has to say to us. Are you tired? Are you depressed? Are you desperate? Are you angry? Are you doubting? Doesn't matter. Jesus wants you to hear from you. Pouring out honest pleas from broken hearts is what He wants to hear.



I look forward to praying with you in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment