Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Eve of Fasting: Behold and Enjoy

“A man must render an account before God for all the good things he beheld, but didn’t enjoy.”
~Jerusalem Talmud

A friend of mine recently emailed this quote to me. It struck me as being a one-sentence sermon.

First, let's take a look at what it means to behold:

be·hold /bi'hōld/
Verb: See or observe (a thing or person, esp. a remarkable or impressive one):

There have been many times that I have neglected to enjoy something that God has allowed me to behold. Don't worry, I won't put you through the tedium of this laundry list of items! I will suggest, however, that we take time to enjoy the things that God has allowed us to see or observe (see Behold, again, by Jo Stern).

As we pray for Adam and fast, tomorrow is an opportunity for us to spend time beholding God and the blessings that He has provided. Of course, we can behold Him and His works any day (and we should). However, I have found that I spend more time beholding Him and His creation on Wednesdays than I do the other days of the work week. I must confess, however, that there have been days of our united prayer and fasting for Adam that I did not enjoy as much as others.

My challenge to myself is that I would spend time enjoying those things that I behold, tomorrow. I invite you to join me. For starters, let's behold and enjoy God's faithfulness (see Amy's post, Great is Thy Faithfulness



Psalm 71:21-22

21 You will increase my honor
and comfort me once again.

22 I will praise you with the harp
for your faithfulness, O my God;
I will sing praise to you with the lyre,
O Holy One of Israel.


I look forward to praying with you, tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment