Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Lunch: Rejoice, Despite the Chains!

Philippians 1:12-20

   Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly

   It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

   Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.
I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.

Paul was literally in chains, and he still rejoiced!

We may not be in prison. We may not be in chains. Yet, many of us are prisoners to the cares of this world. We are prisoners to our possessions, careers, debts, worries, depression, or illness. Some may be prisoners to others' circumstances, such as Adam's.

The important thing, Paul states, is that Christ is preached. Isn't it amazing, that Adam, although in a coma, is ministering to us? Christ is being preached through Adam.

Although there is debate about the source, many attribute this quote to St. Francis of Assisi, "Preach the Gospel at all times. When necessary, use words." Some like to debate the source. Others like to question biblical accuracy. Regardless, I feel that Adam is preaching the Gospel to us, without words.

We do not know, with certainty, God's will and timing for Adam's healing. While we wait, let's not allow ourselves to be held captive. Like Paul, let's be joyful, despite these trying circumstances.



Thank you, God, that Christ is being exalted in Adam's body. Because of this, we can all be joyful!

No comments:

Post a Comment