Thursday, September 30, 2010

Breaking the Fast: While I'm Waiting


Our walk through Chapter 3 of Philippians, yesterday, left me wondering a bit. Verse 1 started off with joy ("rejoice in the Lord"), but then Paul became defensive in the next several verses. The rest of the chapter seemed a little void of "warm fuzzies," but did include encouragement to press on, and eventually, hope of Christ's return.

Some may question why Paul was not more tolerant of those with different views, even calling them dogs. If it is political correctness you are looking for in the Bible, you are reading the wrong book.

"Avoid a sugared gospel as you would shun sugar of lead. Seek the gospel which rips up and tears and cuts and wounds and hacks and even kills, for that is the gospel that makes alive again. And when you have found it, give good heed to it. Let it enter into your inmost being. As the rain soaks into the ground, so pray the Lord to let his gospel soak into your soul."
~Charles H. Spurgeon

As for me, I am attempting to focus on my citizenship in heaven. As Paul instructed, I want to eagerly await our Savior, who will transform us to be like Him. But, it is difficult, maybe even painful.

  I'm waiting on you, Lord
  Though it is painful
  But patiently I will wait
  While I'm waiting...
  ...I will serve You
  While I'm waiting
  I will worship
  ~While I'm Waiting,
  John Waller

I am waiting on the Lord, but He is also waiting on me. Waiting for me to serve. Waiting for me to worship.



Waiting — it is not something I do well. Amy, Mackenzie, Jack, Cookie, Ben, Brad, Tristan, and many others are waiting for Adam's healing. I am certain that is very painful for them. Yet, in this song, we receive instructions as to what to do while we wait — serve and worship.

James 3:13

Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.

Exodus 23:25

Worship the Lord your God, and his blessing will be on your food and water. I will take away sickness from among you,

My instructions are clear. Now, if I can just follow them!

Next week, we will take a look at Chapter 4. Until then, look for opportunities to "wait well."

No comments:

Post a Comment