Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Evening: I Will Be Still

by Hillary Mortensen

Even as I attempt to write my blog entry for this week, I was up past midnight and fighting just to stay awake.

My work schedule has me going and going, to the point that I am having a hard time keeping my personal life together, like cleaning my room, preparing food, or getting gas for my car. I don’t know what it’s like to feel rested, and I haven’t seen one of my roommates in days. Most significantly, I have not remained diligent in cultivating my relationship with God through prayer, Bible study, and worship…and it shows.

I can sense that peace and joy have been replaced by anxiety and dissatisfaction. I haven’t had the strength to fend off the arrows of the enemy that lead me to envy, covet, and worry. Confidence in Christ has been replaced by self-consciousness. Discouragement has smothered hope. I wake up and think of my to-do list before thinking on all Christ has done for me.

Today, perhaps even on a day set aside for prayer, you (like me) haven’t taken the time to be still before God. Maybe prayer has been another item to cross off the to-do list. Take at least a few minute to stop and worship. Listen to God; wait on Him.

Romans 12:12 instructs us: “Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying.”

So, friends, in spite of the situation we find ourselves in that brings us together today…Rejoice. Be patient. And keep on praying.



"Someone has said that when we work, we work; but when we pray, God works. His supernatural strength is available to praying people who are convinced to the core of their beings that he can make a difference."
~Bill Hybels

Good night.

1 comment: