Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Eve of Fasting: The Honest Cries of Breaking Hearts...

...Are better than a Hallelujah sometimes

On the eve of yet another united day of prayer and fasting, I continue to sense that God is using Adam's accident as a way to draw us closer to Him. I wonder if too many of us have become too self-reliant. We want to control our destinies, fix our own problems, and work hard to avoid dependence on others.

As we all know, especially those closest to Adam, one moment in time changes everything. Before, we did not take so much time for prayer and meditation. Now, we do. Is this the change that God is seeking in us? Is God nudging us to give up our self-reliance to become more dependent on Him? It's just my opinion, but I believe that He is.

As we fast and pray together, I hope that we don't hold back. I hope that we pour our hearts out to God. As Amy Grant says in her song,

"We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah"



Over the next 24-36 hours, I hope that God hears many melodies from family and friends of Adam. In fact, it is more than a hope. This evening, it is my prayer. Make it yours, too.

Psalms 4:1; 17:6

1 Answer me when I call to you,
O my righteous God.
Give me relief from my distress;

6 I call on you, O God, for you will answer me;
give ear to me and hear my prayer.

1 comment:

  1. I love this song -- it stresses an important point. Let's feel free to "be real" with God. Be honest. Say to Him what is on your mind. Honest cries are better than saying what we think God wants to hear us say.

    ReplyDelete