Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Eve of Fasting: Joy

As I stated last Thursday, this week we will be posting devotionals based on the New Testament book of Philippians. According to my Quest Study Bible, this book is appropriate "If you've ever had trouble seeing how faith can be dressed in everyday clothes...And, along the way you'll run a gamut of human experience: joy, bitterness, unity, bickering, arrogance, humiliation."

We are going to focus on joy. The word joy appears 16 times in the book of Philippians. Paul, the author of this letter to the people of Philippi, mentions joy quite often, despite his imprisonment.

Philippians 1:1-8

Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus,
  To all the saints in Christ Jesus at Philippi, together with the overseers[a] and deacons:

Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Thanksgiving and Prayer

I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me. God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.


I think we can learn a lot from Amy about how to remain joyful despite very challenging circumstances. And now, something a bit different, some joy with a country twist.



As we pray for Adam, let's remain joyful.

No comments:

Post a Comment