Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Breakfast: Surrender All

By Adrienne Terada

So my sister and I were discussing last night, that with this fast today, we will have gone without food 5 out of 8 days. In fact, yesterday as we were preparing meals I kept finding myself not taking a bite of something that I wanted to because I have grown so accustomed to the discipline of not putting food in my mouth. This is crazy to me, because until Adam's accident, I had never completed even one day of a spiritual fast. Wow, so much has changed!

Like my Dad, I too have been thinking about how much has happened through this journey of prayer and fasting over the last month. I have spent more time in worship and prayer each day than I ever have in my life. I have taken time out of my busy day to stop and truly meet and worship our Savior. I have watched my children come to understand what fasting is, and even got to stand beside them as they are doing their first fasts. I completed my first fasts. On Monday, Hillary and I got to sit with Isaac and Annabelle for over an hour in a worship and prayer session as we were battling for Adam, and begging and pleading for His healing. (I have never shared this experience with my kids. It is something that I truly want to continue long after Adam is healed). I got to receive a powerful vision from the Lord. I have wept, I have praised, I have prayed!

During all this time with the Lord, I am really coming to a much greater understanding of Him. He is the Almighty, and He is teaching me about surrendering to Him. Of course, the obvious in all of this is that we have to surrender Adam's life to God. We have to surrender Adam's healing, the timing of Adam's healing, and the path his healing takes. It is all in God's hands.

The other thing that God has shown me during this time, is the importance of surrendering my life to Him, which was not so obvious to me as this journey began. I thought this was going to be all about Adam. God wants each of us to surrender all to Him. I have been striving hard this last year to surrender everything to God, but God has revealed that there is more to be done. Last week, after I received my very powerful vision from the Lord, He is also revealed that there was one very specific area of my life that I hadn't surrendered because I was afraid of what trials, pain, or sacrifice might come if I did. It was a freeing feeling to finally let go of this and give it to God.

Our society operates on the opposite of surrender. It is attain as much as you can as fast as you can with your power. strength, and might, and once you have it do everything you can to not let go of it. We get the 'you are in control' message pounded on us all the time!!! This simply isn't true. This is not what the Bible tells us.

Luke 9:24
For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.


God wants us to surrender to Him...
  • our very life
  • our hearts
  • our spouses
  • our children
  • our health
  • our businesses
  • our jobs
  • our finances
  • our savings accounts
  • our homes
  • our time, etc.,...

Sing along with this song and ask God to help you surrender all.




To Pray For:
  • That Adam's family and each of us can surrender Adam and his healing to you
  • That God would reveal to you anything in your life that you need to surrender
  • For forgiveness for not surrendering all to God

1 comment:

  1. I woke up extremely hungry, today. I will need to surrender this day of fasting to God, as i would have a most difficult time doing it on my own. Yet, this is symbolic of much more I still need to surrender. Thank you, Adrienne, for a timeless devotional.

    ReplyDelete