Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dinner: The Holy Spirit

by Hillary Mortensen

So far this week of fasting, we've touched on seeking God earnestly, experiencing God's presence, listening, and meditating. Now let us consider how we experience God through the work of the Holy Spirit, one of three persons of God, along with the Father and Son.

Chapters 14-16 of the Book of John teach us much about the Holy Spirit. These are just a few of the highlights:

To those who know Jesus and love Him, the Holy Spirit becomes our Counselor, who will be with us forever.

"If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth." (14:15-17a)

He lives in believers.

The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. (14:17b)

He reminds us of Jesus' words.

But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. (14:26)

When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me. (15:26)

He convicts the world of sin and reveals the standard of God's righteousness to anyone who believes.

When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned. (16:8-11)

He guides believers into truth.

But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. (16:13)

He brings glory to Christ.

He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. (16:14)

This list is by no means an exhaustive list of the role and attributes of the Holy Spirit. Basically, the Holy Spirit is God's Spirit in the lives of those who know God through Jesus Christ. For Christians, the Holy Spirit makes us new creations, helps us pray, helps us worship, helps us understand the Bible, carries out God's work in us, produces fruit in us, gives us power to live the Christian life, and on and on.

The good news is that A) The Holy Spirit is available to everyone (See Acts 2:14-21.) and B) Our Father in heaven will give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!

"Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

Luke 11:11-13

With that in mind, let us ask God to be empowered by the Holy Spirit as we worship, pray, read the Bible, and live our lives for Him.



Lord,

Thank you for leaving us with your Holy Spirit so that your presence would be with us, leading us, guiding us, transforming us, and interceding for us. Thank you that I am not left alone to figure out this life. I acknowledge that I have sinned against You by directing my own life. I thank You that You have forgiven my sins through Christ's death on the cross for me. I now invite Christ to again take His place on the throne of my life. Fill me with the Holy Spirit as you commanded me to be filled, and as You promised in Your Word that You would do if I asked in faith. Please intercede in my prayers when I don't know what to pray for Adam and his family. Help me be attentive to your leading in how I can minister to them. Direct each of my steps so that I can live a life holy and pleasing to you, Lord. In Jesus' name I pray these things.

Amen.

1 comment: