Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Evening: Content in All Circumstances


Philippians 4:10-14

10I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength. 14Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles.

I believe that this is a challenge we all face in western society — being content. We are rarely satisfied with where we are or what we own. When trouble strikes, such as relationship or health issues, we become even less content. We want "things" fixed, and we want them fixed, now!

Although I have done better in this department in the last couple years, a strong "contentment battle" has been going on inside my head this past week. There are several business and personal issues that I want resolved — quickly! When I think of Adam's family, I am reminded how petty my concerns are compared to theirs.

In the verses, above, Paul states that he knows what it is to be in need. The reality is that I don't. My guess is that there are some of you reading this that don't, either. What "real" needs have I had? I have never gone hungry because of poverty or famine. I have never gone without shelter because of poverty or natural dissaster. I have never gone without love.

Yes, I do need to work on contentment, regardless of my circumstances. For even if the future brings me hunger, homelessness, or other challenging circumstances, I should be content in my faith in God. Just so we don't lose focus, please pray for Adam's full recovery, this evening. Then, pray that all of his family members and close friends would be content. Then pray it for all of our prayer "centurions." Then, pray it for yourself.

The more content we become, the more we will rejoice in the Lord, instead of feeling that life is cheating us. When content, waiting on the Lord does not have to be a burden. We can serve, worship, and not grow weary.



We'll meet, again, in the morning. Good night, and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment