Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Lunch: Pressing Onward


Philippians 3:12-16

  12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

  15All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. 16Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

Living up to what we have already obtained. That is another tall order! I can spend the rest of my life attempting it, but I will fall (very) short.

I watched the first episode of the new season's Biggest Loser on Monday evening. In one scene, a very overweight person is recounting his past weight battles to Bob Harper. It was interesting that Bob told him to forget about the past, and to move forward. The words he used sounded like they could have been Paul's, talking to me about my past sins. Wether it's our weight, or our sins, we need to forget about the past, and move forward. We need to press onward toward the goal.

"I am reaching for the highest goal
That I might receive the prize
Pressing onward, pushing every hindrance aside
Out of my way
Cause I want to know you more"
~I Want To Know You (More)
Hillsong



If we are moving forward, striving to live up to what we have already obtained, we should be better equipped to deal with the challenges that life throws at us. Even so, it is difficult for me to imagine myself in the same situation that Adam's loved ones have been facing every day since May 15th. Please pray for them during your lunch break. Pray that God will provide each of them with His peace and comfort.

1 comment:

  1. As Amy said in her blog on Tuesday...please keep praying for Adam's speech and language.

    ReplyDelete