Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Lunch: Is God with Us?


by Hillary Mortensen

While studying the story of Joseph, I had a nagging question: Is God with me like he was with Joseph?

Genesis 39:2-3
The LORD was with Joseph, and he became a successful man, and he was in the house of his Egyptian master. 3His master saw that the LORD was with him and that the LORD caused all that he did to succeed in his hands.

Genesis 39:21-23
21But the LORD was with Joseph and showed him steadfast love and gave him favor in the sight of the keeper of the prison. 22And the keeper of the prison put Joseph in charge of all the prisoners who were in the prison. Whatever was done there, he was the one who did it. 23The keeper of the prison paid no attention to anything that was in Joseph’s charge, because the LORD was with him. And whatever he did, the LORD made it succeed.

I give credit to my pastor Mark Pickerill for his sermon The God Who is on Every Page for bringing up my very question about God being with Joseph. He then addressed how we can experience “God with you” like Joseph did. Here are a few highlights I drew from the talk:

  • Our God is in relentless pursuit of us! However, it is possible for God to be with someone without that person realizing it.
  • Becoming aware of the presence of God is an acquired skill.
  • When you’re aware of the presence of God, you will start seeing Him all over the place.
  • God wants to be with people so badly that He came to Earth to dwell with them. (Jesus is Emmanuel, meaning God With Us.)
  •  To practice experiencing the presence of God, we need to keep our attention on God, not allowing anything to distract us. (This goes back to  a “Look Up” phrase in a blog entry months ago.)
    Psalm 16:7-8
    I will praise the LORD, who counsels me;
       even at night my heart instructs me.
    I keep my eyes always on the LORD.
       With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
  •            God comes with reassurances. He is not a performance evaluator.
          Joshua 1:9
    Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. 
  • God is with you when you get counsel and instruction.
  • You will know God’s presence by the convicting work of the Holy Spirit.
  • JOY. God is with you when you experience joy.
    Psalm 16:11
          You make known to me the path of life;
          you will fill me with joy in your presence,
          with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

    After hearing this sermon and considering whether God is with me like He was with Joseph, I understood that the answer is YES! I need only to work on acquiring the skill of experiencing His presence.

    Let’s pray that we would improve in experiencing the presence of God in our lives, that we would feel His reassurances as we read the Bible, that we would confess part of our lives that we’re hiding and know the Holy Spirit has convicted us, that we would experience joy and know it comes from God. Thank God for coming to be with us. As we celebrate Christmas, let’s stand amazed at what God has done and who He is. May Adam, Amy, Mackenzie, Jack, Cookie, Ben, Brad, and Tristan experience the joy of the season.



    In spite of the circumstances, may this be the merriest of Christmases.
Ps

No comments:

Post a Comment