Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Lunch: Let's be Joyful!

Habakkuk 3:17-18

Though the fig tree does not bud
  and there are no grapes on the vines,
  though the olive crop fails
  and the fields produce no food,
  though there are no sheep in the pen
  and no cattle in the stalls,

18 yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
  I will be joyful in God my Savior.

Do you ever get that feeling of impatience waiting for your garden to grow?
Do you ever experience the dissapointment of your efforts bearing no fruit?
Do you feel despair because there is no money in the bank?
Do you ever grow weary waiting for a report of positive developments on Amy's blog?

Somedays are more difficult for me than others when it comes to patience (or lack thereof). Even more so, being able to rejoice. At times, it seems that I would rather complain. In his book, Habakkuk complained to God. He asked God why good people must suffer. I, too have complained to God. And, I have asked why Adam must suffer.

Despite the complaints, and even when life is not going well, Habakkuk states that he will rejoice in the Lord and be joyful in God my Savior. We can learn from Habakkuk. During your "lunch hour," I invite you, and encourage you, to read the short book of Habakkuk. And, it takes just a few more minutes to read a brief commentary on Habakkuk.

After reading Habakkuk, I encourage you spend some time rejoicing. Rejoice, even in the midst of Adam's long road to recovery. Rejoice, despite the stresses of life. Make your lunch time devotional a time of rejoicing. Let's rejoice that God has provided Adam with life, with skilled medical staff, with a devoted wife, and with prayer warriors from around the nation (and beyond)!

Like Habakkuk, let's be joyful!

No comments:

Post a Comment