Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Lunch: To Know God

adapted by Hillary Mortensen from J.I. Packer's Knowing God

"A little knowledge of God is worth more than a great knowledge about Him."

Theologian J.I Packer's statement is poignant, convicting hearts – like mine! – and causing us to grapple with whether they have known God or simply know about Him. As he explains, one can have an interest in theology, read books, study Scripture, lead groups, teach, and write papers on Christian themes without actually knowing God at all. Moreover, as is the case with me, one can know a great deal about godliness without much knowledge of God. It is possible to listen to sermons, read Christian living books, keep good company, and even help others regain footing in their faith while hardly knowing God at all.

Evidence of Knowing God

Packer, in his book Knowing God, lists evidence of knowing God:
  1. Those who know God have great energy for God.
    This is first expressed through zeal and energy for prayer. It also involves recognizing when God's truth and honor are being jeopardized and seeking to compel a change of heart about it, even if it involves personal risk.

    Do we have unending zeal and energy for prayer? Do we risk personally to defend the truth and honor of God?
  2. Those who know God have great thoughts of God.
    This involves knowing the wisdom, might, and truth of the great God who rules history and acts with sovereignty.

    It means knowing what Daniel knew and thinking how he thought on God (Daniel 2:20-22):
    "Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever;
    wisdom and power are his.
    21 He changes times and seasons;
    he sets up kings and deposes them.
    He gives wisdom to the wise
    and knowledge to the discerning.
    22 He reveals deep and hidden things;
    he knows what lies in darkness,
    and light dwells with him.

    Do we ascribe to God all glory and honor, wisdom and strength?
  3. Those who know God show great boldness for God.
    This means sticking one's neck out, not foolishly, but after having counted the cost and measured the risk. It means being aware of the outcome if God does not miraculously intervene.

    As recorded in the book of Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were willing to be thrown into a fiery furnace over worshiping an idol. In the New Testament, the apostles claimed, "We must obey God rather than men!" (Acts 5:29) "But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God," said Paul (Acts 20:24).

    Once we know the right course to take, do we embrace it boldly and without hesitation?
  4. Those who know God have great contentment in God.
    This means that we experience peace because our minds possess the full assurance that we have known God and that God knows us, and that this relationship guarantees God's favor. Paul analyzes this in Romans 8:

    There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus....The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God....we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose....whom He justified, these He also glorified....If God is for us, who can be against us?...Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect?...Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?...I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (vv. 1, 16-17, 28, 30, 31, 33, 35, 38-39)



    How comprehensive is our contentment in God?
If we desire to know God, then we must 1) recognize how much we lack knowledge of God, and 2) seek the Savior. Let us pray:

Lord, I confess that we lack a knowledge of You. There are things I know about You. There are even things I do to serve You. Still, my prayer life and what goes on in my heart reveal how little I truly know You. Please show me how impoverished I am at this level and allow what I learn to stir in me a passionate love for You that I may know You still more. I seek the Savior, because I know that I can find and know God through seeking and finding Jesus' company. I trust in the promise that when we seek Him with all our hearts, we shall surely find Him. I want to boldly stand before the Lord and testify that I have known God.

I pray that, throughout Adam's miraculous healing and recovery, Adam, those who know Adam, and those who read this blog would be seeking after the Savior and coming to a better knowledge of You in personal relationship. Please give us an increased energy for You, God, which would make itself evident first in a growing prayer life. Grant us the courage to defend Your truth and honor. May our hearts and our words give You all glory and honor. Give us discernment as we determine the right course, and then, even when difficult, help us to embrace it without hesitation. Meanwhile, Lord, please be producing in us a peace beyond comprehension and true contentment in knowing You and being known by You.


No comments:

Post a Comment