Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Evening: Why aren't his arms reaching?

 A call to be more Christ-like

Casting Crowns released their first album in 2003. Their popularity rose quickly with their hit single, If We Are The Body. The first time I heard it, it seemed different than many worship songs. It did not tell me how much God loved me. It did not tell me how great heaven was going to be. It didn't tell me I was forgiven. It told me to get out of my easy chair and be more Christ-like.

The song describes a couple instances of "societal outcasts" that do not receive warm welcomes from churches they attended. After each, the chorus asks, "If we are the body, why aren't his arms reaching? Why aren't his hands healing? Why aren't his words teaching? If we are the body why aren't his feet going? Why is his love not showing them there is a way?"

The song tells us that we should reach out to those who aren't popular, just as Jesus did during His ministry. It challenges the "church" to quit being a "self-serving club" and reach out to those in need. Listen for yourself.


Although Casting Crowns shines a somewhat uncomfortable, unflattering light on the church, I must agree that we are guilty — certainly not all of us; and not all of the time. But, collectively, we fall short. Alas, I am afraid that I fall even shorter than the church as a whole.

Before I pray for Adam this evening, I am going to pray for myself. I will pray that God would remove my selfishness, laziness, and self-centeredness. I will pray that the Holy Spirit would prod me to notice when I should be reaching out to others as Jesus would. I will pray that I wold be more in tune to the needs of others, and be willing to help meet those needs by stepping out of my comfort zone.

This is what you are doing for Adam and his family. Although distance may separate most of you from Adam, Amy, and Mackenzie, you are reaching out to them. Your letters and postcards have been a form of His "arms reaching." Your prayers — past, present, and future — are a form of His "hands healing." Have you been a regular reader of Amy's blog? Her writing is a great example of His "words teaching."

Yes, as followers of Christ, we fall short way too often to live as Jesus did. Yet, there are so many examples of individuals doing their jobs as part of the body of Christ. I thank you, and pray for God's blessings upon you.

I am confident that you have asked God for Adam's healing, today. And, I am confident that you will so so, again, tomorrow. This evening, I would encourage you to pray for Adam's family. Until Adam is healed, there are many challenges that must be faced. Let's support them with our prayers. There are financial, logistical, legal, emotional, and spiritual challenges ahead, to name a few.

Name specific people as you pray: Amy (wife), Mackenzie (daughter), Cookie (mother), Jack (father), Ben/Brad/Tristan (brothers). Feel free to add names in the comments section, below.

Remember...

"We have to pray with our eyes on God, not on the difficulties."
~Oswald Chambers

Luke 18:1

Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment