Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Lunch: A Jar Full of Thankful

This is my jar full of thankful. Each marble in it represents something I am thankful for. Today my thankful jar consists of thanks for blessings such as family who surrounds other members of the family with prayer, financial provision even without full employment, and a God who continues to reveal His love to me through creation and other people.

Likely not coincidentally, my past two Wednesdays were very trying. (Often times we face trial, known as spiritual attack, when we are intentionally and boldly doing something in the name of the Lord.) These day have required some extra, set aside thanksgiving. Today, I encourage you to do the same thing. You may not have a jar of marbles (although I highly recommend it for the audible sound of thanks each clink provides), but take a handful of something --- paperclips, goldfish crackers, candies, etc. --- and one by one, hold the item, lift up a prayer of thanks to God for something specific in your life, and then set aside that item. Do this with each item until you have a set aside pile of "thankfuls."
Here are a few reasons to give thanks, just to help you get started:
  • You are alive and breathing today and in relative good health if you are reading this.
  • For Adam's ongoing recovery and recordable progress!
  • That Adam is showering and dressing himself.
  • That Adam is answering questions loudly and clearly.
  • That Amy was able to get surgery for her back.
  • That Macknezie has already had a good start to school in Orlando.
  • Our God is a living God.
  • Shelter and food.
  • For the life and renewal of spring.
  • For a God who listens to our prayers.
  • And the list goes on and on...


I will give thanks to the Lord because of his righteousness
and will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High.

Psalm 7:17

The Lord is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.
My heart leaps for joy
and I will give thanks to Him in song.

Psalm 28:7

You turned my wailing into dancing;
you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.
O Lord my god, I will give you thanks forever.

Psalm 30:11-12


No comments:

Post a Comment