Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Eve of Fasting: Delay by Design?


Deuteronomy 8:2

    "Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the wilderness these forty years, to humble and test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands."

40 years! God chose to lead the Israelites down the long path that took 40 years to arrive at their destination. That is a long delay.

How are you doing with delay? How do you deal with difficulty? How do you respond to disappointment? How do you react to suffering?

I cannot say that I always respond with patience. Yet, I do believe that delay is a test of our faith — just as it was for the Israelites. Adam just began year three of his recovery. If we have ever felt that his healing has been agonizingly slow, we are using the standards of our modern-day culture. God uses His own standards, and does everything in His own timing. Just think about wandering around in the wilderness for 40 years!

Has God been testing us? I believe so. Is He testing anybody in particular? There may be one or more specific people, or it may be a large group of us. The question each of us should be asking ourselves is, "Are you waiting on me, Lord?"

If God is singling me out; If the Lord is testing my heart, I want to pass the test. Yes, I want to see Adam achieve a full recovery. Most importantly, however, I want God to humble me, test me, and see that I have a  heart that desires to obey Him.

Viktor E. Frankl, neurologist, psychiatrist, author, and Holocaust survivor, wrote:

“Forces beyond your control can take away everything you possess except one thing, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation.”

With regard to Adam, the only way I know how to respond is through obedience to God. For me, that means prayer and fasting, but not by myself. I invite and encourage you to join me, tomorrow (Wednesday) by setting aside time to pray with me. If you can commit to fasting, so much the better.

    Now how could I after knowing One so great
    Respond to You in any way
    That's less than all I have to give
    But by Your grace I want to love You
    not with what I say
    But everyday
    In a way that my life is lived
    ~Every Time I Breathe, Big Daddy Weave



I want to respond with all I have to give. After a year of praying alone, I look forward to praying with you, tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. So glad that God is inviting us to continually depend on him.

    ReplyDelete