Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Breakfast: Do Not Surrender to Fear


Good morning! Thanks for joining us in prayer, today. As I was preparing for today, I tried my best to put myself in the shoes of those closest to Adam. This past May 15th marked the two-year anniversary of his motocross accident. At times, it hardly seems possible that much time has passed. Yet for Amy, Mackenzie, Jack, Cookie, Ben, Brad, Tristan, and Adam's close friends, it is has probably felt more like a lifetime.

Last night, I wrote about God's purposes for making us wait (Delay by Design?). The problem for many of us, is that waiting causes fear. Fear that things may not turn out the way we want. Fear that God does not answer our prayers. Fear that He does not hear them at all! Fear that God simply is not with us.

On Sunday afternoon, I was listening to an online sermon by Mike Meeks, Lead Pastor at Eastlake Church in Chula Vista, California. He delivered a message titled, "What To Do While Waiting" (click here to listen and watch video of Hurdles Week 5) There were four key instructions about "what not to do" while waiting — in this case, for Adam's healing. I will be sharing them with you, today.

1. Don't Surrender to Fear

Fear is real. It can, and does, attack all of us. Pastor Meeks pointed out that the antidote to fear is to re-focus on God's presence in our lives.

Isaiah 41:10

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

It was interesting to learn that there are 365 "Fear nots" in the Bible.



As I listened to the message, the key take-away for me is that God is with me when I feel His presence, and God is with me when I feel nothing at all. My feelings do not change the reality of God's presence in my life. Today, as we join together in prayer for Adam, don't be concerned about God hearing us. He will hear our prayers!

Prayer

As we set aside to pray for Adam, today, we should not be asking God to be with us. Rather, we should be asking for God to help us be aware of his presence. That is one of the reasons I fast. It helps me to be aware that I am in the presence of God, and that He is with me.

As we begin the day, consider the following for your morning prayer:

• Praise God for being with us.
• Ask God to make us aware of His presence.
• Praise God for His endless grace.
• Thank God for allowing us to be witnesses to a miraculous healing process over the past two years.*
• Pray for the healing of Adam's aphasia.

*For comparison, read Amy's post from June 28, 2010, then view the photo of Adam, below!

Praise God!

As you go through your morning of work, school, meetings, chores, or other activities, be aware of God's presence, and don't be bashful about offering short prayers for Adam and his family. We will meet, again, at lunch time.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the reminder to take fear captive! Thanks Doug for the encouragement to be aware of God's presence!

    Adam, Amy, & Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete